Technical Executive - Aquaculture
Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation
Technical Executive - Aquaculture
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a friendly and welcoming team in a dynamic and growing sector. You are........... passionate, motivated, driven and reliable. Technologically adept,positive and friendly. Self-motivated, though can work cohesively as part of a team and have a desire to learn and develop your skills.
Scottish salmon is Scotland’s and the UK’s no.1 food export with a global reputation for quality. The industry is an important contributor to the national economy and supports over 10,000 jobs in Scotland and across the UK supply chain from Shetland to Heathrow.
The role of the Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation is to facilitate the long-term sustainable growth of the Scottish salmon industry and to maintain its position as a leading food producer, representing the interests of our member companies and working to promote “Scottish Salmon” the brand.
- Working closely with and reporting to the Sustainability Director, you’ll advise and prepare advice and guidance to member companies and others where appropriate on matters of legislative compliance and operational best-practice/performance improvement.
- You will join our Sustainability Team and come with a strong work ethic, be keen to succeed, and be comfortable communicating within and beyond the team.
- You will be asked to represent the SSPO at external meetings with stakeholders and directly represent the Organisation and industry on relevant external committees andworking groups or seek appropriate industry representation.
- You will be highly organised, with a methodical approach to work and an ability to work independently and proactively, demonstrating excellent problem-solving skills.
- You will engage with internal and external stakeholders to update the Industry’s Code of Good Practice and Scottish Quality Salmon standards.
- You will be responsible for the continuous evolution and development of the standards and will support the audit processes.
- An essential aspect of the role is to liaise with member companies and the industry supply chain, other external organisations and stakeholders on legislative, technical and scientific matters to characterise the ‘state of the industry’ and identify opportunities for improvement and growth.
- You’ll provide timely briefings for member companies on relevant aquaculture matters and developments, and briefing/advising SSPO colleagues and the Chief Executive.
Experience,skills and qualities
- A degree or equivalent in environmental science, marine or freshwater biology or an aquaculture related discipline.
- Credibility – able to quickly understand the industry’s drivers/operations/regulatory and commercial environment.
- Communications skills – clear, confident speaking and writing style and willing to become a good networker and relationship builder for the SSPO. Confident at making presentations internally and to small groups.
- Good attention to detail and ability to deliver high quality outputs on time.
- Organised and with a methodical and proactive approach to your work.
- A good team worker, with a flexible approach and willing to take on other work as the industry and external agenda evolves. At the same time, an ability and willingness to lead and deliver on discrete projects.
- A minimum of 3 years working experience
- Knowledge of the food and drink sector would be an advantage.
- A full UK driving licence would be required for travel to industry and other facilities across Scotland.
The role has a local and global focus and will help ensure the SSPO’s positions and opinions are based on credible and robust scientific,technical and fish welfare knowledge.
Please note this role will require occasional travel to visit member companies who are located across Scotland, often in remote areas.
Interested? Please submit your CV and cover letter highlighting what attracted you to the role, including details of your current salary/salary expectations.
Closing Date for applications: 1 September 2019
- Private medical/dental insurance
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- aquaculture related: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
Are you a highly motivated individual looking to expand your career? We are currently looking for a ... Read more
The Business: Founded in 1977, Wester Ross Fisheries is the oldest independent, owner-operated salmo... Read more
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a friendly and welcoming team in a dynamic and growing secto... Read more
The Falkland Islands are immensely proud of their stewardship of the natural environment and are kee... Read more