Quick fix for North Sea trawler
The trawler's original axial MAN NA34/K unit was replaced with a modern, radial MAN TCR20 turbocharger
MAN Diesel & Turbo has carried out a quick fix turbocharger retrofit on a North Sea trawler taking just five weeks from first enquiry to commissioning.
The Faeroese trawler Sjurdaberg, was constructed in 1985 and has successfully operated in the North Sea for over 30 years. Equipped with a 1984-built MAN 9L28/32A Alpha engine and NA34/K turbocharger, the trawler has accumulated more than 115,000 operating hours.
Gottfried Eberle, Head of Turbocharger Retrofit – MAN Diesel & Turbo – said: “During the retrofit, we replaced the original axial MAN NA34/K unit that had served so well with a modern, radial MAN TCR20 turbocharger. The main advantages of the new turbocharger are its small size and efficiency, and its short reaction time in the event of load changes.”
Fishing trawlers rely on especially powerful engines and turbochargers, which are a prerequisite for competing in the highly competitive, global fishing industry.
The work was carried out in Denmark by MAN Diesel & Turbo, Frederikshavn, in close cooperation with Turbocharger Retrofit in Augsburg.
In addition to the retrofit, the exhaust-gas pipe had to be fitted to the new turbocharger.
The bollard-pull test, during which the vessel is moored to the pier and operated on full load which is simultaneously measured, delivered convincing results.
The trawler owner was highly satisfied with the retrofit and the subsequent benefits from increased performance and reliability, high spareparts availability, containment safety and reduced maintenance costs.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Brunvoll Volda contracted for trawler propulsion system
- Quick fix for North Sea trawler
- MAN D2676 powered workboat
- Danes refurb Russian factory-ship engines
- MAN B&W launch new engine range
- Wärtsilä and MAN Diesel & Turbo continue HERCULES project
- MAN powered specialised fishing vessel
- Hercules-2 engine development project to get underway
- MAN power for US fishing trawler
- MAN power and exhaust cleaning for trawlers
- Chilean fish farmer orders MAN gensets
- MAN CR unit ready for US market
- New vessel for Northern Ireland
- MAN Diesel’s environmental milestone
- 'Green lubes' for environmentally friendly CP propellers
- Centurion Del Atlantico returns to southern hemisphere
- PrimeServ’s latest trawler overhaul
- Reliability is the word
- Higher efficiency engines with ultra-low emissions
- MAN Diesel & Turbo SE merger complete
- Retrofit HAM system leads to 61% NOx reduction
- MAN L27/38 for new Cattleya
- Tuna vessel opts for MAN propulsion
- ‘Herøyhav’ for Norway