NOAA reopens fishing area in Gulf of Mexico

Fishery closure boundary as of 7 June, 2010. Closure area may be updated daily as necessary. (Image: NOAA) Fishery closure boundary as of 7 June, 2010. Closure area may be updated daily as necessary. (Image: NOAA)
Industry Database

NOAA has opened 339 square miles of previously closed fishing area off the Florida panhandle – the northern boundary now ends at the Florida federal-state water line on the east side of Choctawhatchee Bay.

This area was initially closed on 5 June as a precaution because oil was projected to be within the area over the next 48 hours. However, the review of satellite imagery, radar and aerial data indicated that oil had not moved into the area.

The federal closed area does not apply to any state waters. Closing fishing in these areas is a precautionary measure to ensure that seafood from the Gulf will remain safe for consumers.

The closed area now represents 78,264 square miles, which is approximately 32% of Gulf of Mexico federal waters. This leaves approximately 68% of Gulf federal waters available for fishing.

The last closed area modification was 5 June, when 78,603 square miles were closed to fishing, or roughly 33% of federal waters of the Gulf.

Latest Jobs

Systems Administrator

We are looking for a Systems Administrator to join our award winning B2B media company. Read more

SG/C1/Marlab - Fisheries Advisor (IRC54392)

We are currently seeking applications for a Fisheries Advisor within Marine Scotland Science based i... Read more

Maintenance Manager

Marine Harvest Fish Feed (MHFF) is one of the newest divisions within Marine Harvest. Read more

Production Manager

Marine Harvest Fish Feed (MHFF) is one of the newest divisions within Marine Harvest. Read more

Fisheries Project Officer

The MSC operates the world’s most recognised fisheries certification and eco-labelling program. Read more

Fish Processor

An enthusiastic team player is required by Bibury Trout Farm to work in our fish shop area. Read more

View all jobs