Norway study trip for award finalists
The top 10 finalists of the Independent Takeaway Fish & Chip Shop of the Year Award at this year’s National Fish & Chip Awards 2013 were invited to take part in an educational trip to Norway (1-3 October), hosted by the Norwegian Seafood Council.
The top ten finalists are:
- The Bay Fish & Chips, Stonehaven – best in Scotland
- The Crispy Cod, Tonyrefail – best in Wales
- Pit Stop Fast Food, Kilkeel – best in Northern Ireland
- Quayside, Whitby – best in North East England
- Richardson’s Fish Bar, Fleetwood – best in North West England
- Simpsons Fish & Chips, Cheltenham – best in the Midlands
- Burton Road Fish & Chips, Lincoln – best in Eastern England
- Henley’s of Wivenhoe, Wivenhoe – best in London & South East England
- The Wigmore Fish & Chips, Luton – best in Central & South England
- Hanbury’s, Torquay – best in South West England
As guests of the Norwegian Seafood Council (NSC) the regional winners enjoyed a three day, all-expenses paid study trip to Ålesund in Norway. The finalists learned how Norway manages its sustainable fisheries in harmony with nature. During their trip, finalists visited the Norwegian trawler, Granit IV, and witnessed first-hand the entire frozen at sea cod fishing process, from catch, to processing and filleting to being frozen at sea. The finalists then had a guided tour of Sperre, a fishing production plant. The contenders also met the Institute of Marine Research to learn about the science behind Norway’s fishery management.
The ten regional winners will travel to London for the National Fish & Chip Awards 2013, organised by Seafish at the Lancaster London hotel on 24 January 2013. It will then be announced which fish and chip shop will be crowned Independent Takeaway Fish & Chip Shop of the Year.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Norwegian seafood export record
- Norway increases salmon exports to China
- Norwegian exports down in 2012
- Saithe fishery seeks MSC re-assessment
- US revokes salmon anti-dumping duties