Scottish aquaculture scholarship opportunities
SAIC Scholars Connect Plus is one of a number of skills-related initiatives underway to encourage new people into the sector
The Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre’s (SAIC) scholarship scheme is back for a third academic year, with 25 funded MSc places available to Scottish and EU students in 2017/18.
SAIC Scholars Connect Plus is financed by the Scottish Funding Council and is one of a number of skills-related initiatives underway to encourage new people into the sector and enhance the career progression of those already working within the industry.
Key to each programme is the stipulation that students undertake their MSc applied research project on an industry-identified challenge or opportunity.
Heather Jones, CEO at SAIC, said: “By giving students the opportunity to apply their science to a real industry issue, we are helping equip them with the skills needed, including heightened commercial awareness – something that employers have told us would be of real benefit.”
The SAIC Scholars initiative also supports a number of added-value activities throughout the academic year. This includes the highly successful Aquaculture Careers Day – organised by the Aquaculture Students’ Association at the University of Stirling, which is open to all students undertaking an aquaculture-related course at a Scottish university.
Students can choose from seven MSc programmes at four different Scottish universities - Marine Planning for Sustainable Development or Marine Resource Development and Protection at Heriot-Watt University, Applied Marine and Fisheries Ecology at the University of Aberdeen, Geotechnical Engineering in Aquaculture at the University of Dundee and Sustainable Aquaculture, Aquatic Pathobiology or Aquatic Veterinary Studies at the University of Stirling.
For full course details, or to check eligibility or apply, contact the postgraduate admissions department for each individual MSc programme.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Getting graduates into aquaculture careers
- Scottish mussel hatchery project receives international boost
- First Cleaner Fish Summit takes place
- £1m boost for aquaculture supply chain innovation
- Roadmap outlines Scottish aquaculture growth
- Aquaculture SME innovation drive
- Scottish aquaculture scholarship opportunities
- Industry-wide support for a centre of innovation excellence
- Novel approach to sea lice control
- Advances for Scottish shellfish
- 'Lab in a suitcase' for Scottish aquaculture
- Scoping study to help shape Centre of Excellence
- Sea lice solution
- Scottish shellfish hatchery trial