Industry-wide support for a centre of innovation excellence
The report into the centre of excellence highlights five key findings
The concept of a centre of excellence for Scottish aquaculture has industry-wide support, according to a new study.
Commissioned by the Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre (SAIC), the study set out to measure the appetite for a centre of innovation excellence and identify whether there is a case for the concept to be explored further. It was conducted by consultant and respected industry figure Alan Sutherland.
Heather Jones, SAIC CEO, said: “First and foremost, the report recommends establishing a steering group of supportive parties to explore how best to take the centre of excellence concept to the next stage, as a precursor to any further commitment.”
She added: “We look forward to contributing to the work of that steering group wherever we can, further helping ensure that industry priorities are addressed.”
Over 100 industry members ranging from senior management and eminent academics to representatives from industry bodies, government agencies and non-governmental organisations contributed their views.
The resulting report, Exploring the concept of a centre of innovation excellence for Scottish aquaculture, highlighted five key findings: The sector is strongly in favour of a centre of innovation excellence – or network of innovation excellence – for Scottish aquaculture.
Investment should be channelled into existing facilities first and foremost, supported where appropriate by new infrastructure to address any gaps in provision, and provision of facilities should be coordinated by a single entity, ideally an existing organisation
As well as this, respondents favoured a consortium leadership model with strong industry representation and it concluded that initially, the centre of innovation excellence will require public sector pump-prime funding, but should over time become commercially self-sustaining.
A copy of the centre of innovation excellence report is available on the Scottish Aquaculture website.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- Getting graduates into aquaculture careers
- Scottish mussel hatchery project receives international boost
- First Cleaner Fish Summit takes place
- £1m boost for aquaculture supply chain innovation
- Roadmap outlines Scottish aquaculture growth
- Aquaculture SME innovation drive
- Scottish aquaculture scholarship opportunities
- Industry-wide support for a centre of innovation excellence
- Novel approach to sea lice control
- Advances for Scottish shellfish
- 'Lab in a suitcase' for Scottish aquaculture
- Scoping study to help shape Centre of Excellence
- Sea lice solution
- Scottish shellfish hatchery trial