National Commercial Fisheries Manager
Canal and River Trust
National Commercial Fisheries Manager
£28,000 a year
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water.
Every role across the Trust plays it's part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions.
The postholder will manage the Trust fish stock assets, fishing rights and relationships with individual customers, licensees and external stakeholders at the Trust‘s commercial fisheries portfolio to maintain and grow income and visitors numbers to the Trusts fisheries. In doing this they will promote and enhance brand awareness and the health and wellbeing benefits of fishing at Trust fisheries.
The is a temporary opportunity on a 12 month fixed term contract.
- To undertake the negotiation of financial terms and legal agreements with licensees at the commercial fisheries portfolio and thereafter client manage day to day relationships.
- Develop and subsequently implement a national commercial reservoirs Fisheries & Angling Action Plan.
- Administer the commercial reservoir fisheries portfolio including match bookings, permit sales and facilities management.
- Contribute towards the national fisheries & angling team’s annual business plan.
- Manage Let’s Fish angling participation activity at the Trust commercial reservoir fisheries portfolio and associated local canal network as appropriate.
- Growing fisheries and angling volunteering locally including the day to day liaison with Voluntary Bailiffing Service volunteers.
- Develop social media activity and website content for the commercial fisheries portfolio
- Work with partners and potential sponsors to attract external funding for the commercial fisheries portfolio
- Act as a national team expert in nominated fisheries sub disciplines
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
SKills & Experience
- Degree of equivalent qualification in fisheries management or similar scientific discipline
- Member of relevant professional institution
- Extensive practical experience of fisheries management including fish health and predator management.
- Extensive practical knowledge of angling techniques and the angling marketplace, especially on commercial fisheries within the UK including competition management and development
- Good knowledge of, and practical experience of operating within, UK & European fisheries policy and regulatory frameworks.
- Experience of operating within a customer service environment.
- Able to review conflicting (and cross-functional) risks making appropriate judgements to establish and communicate appropriate order.
- Practical knowledge of management and administration of social media accounts.
- Proficient in the use of IT and business software applications.
- Valid driving licence – driving is integral to the role.
- Angling coaching qualification, minimum Level one, ideally Level two.
- Good understanding of Trust Health and Safety requirements.
- Understanding of Trust governance, financial controls and systems of compliance
This job involves regulated activity with children and adults at risk as defined by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Therefore an Enhanced Criminal Record check will be undertaken by the successful candidate prior to employment. A criminal record is not necessarily a bar to employment with us.
As this role is on the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 Exception Order applicants must state the details of any cautions or convictions whether spent or unspent on the self-disclosure section of the application form.
What We Offer
In addition to your basic annual salary we offer a car cash allowance, a competitive contributory DC Pension scheme arrangement, and numerous other employee benefits, including several salary sacrifice benefits.
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do.
When you join the Canal & River Trust you become a member of an engaged team working to preserve our heritage for future generations. Come and put your skills to use on our waterways.
Find out more about the work we do on our website: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us
We are looking for an experienced Sales Executive to join our award winning B2B media company. Merc... Read more
We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wale... Read more
An exciting opportunity has arisen for the position of Fisheries Officer working within the Departme... Read more
We are recruiting for two Freshwater Operatives for our hatchery at Geocrab, Isle of Harris. Their d... Read more
BioMar is looking for a technically strong biologist/engineer with experience in marine finfish hatc... Read more